Friday, June 15, 2012

Choosing To Love, For Better Or Worse

My husband has had a rain cloud over his head lately...and at times it has turned into a thunder storm.  One would think that after over thirteen years of marriage, fifteen years of knowing one another, and twelve years of children, that communication would become much easier and that I would know how to say just the right thing to turn my husband's cloudy day into sunshine...then again he's not much better at turning my gray moments in to sunshine either...it takes a lot of work...more than work than his real job that leaves him exhausted at the end of the day.  Where did we even get the idea that marriage should be a cake walk...doesn't anything worth having take work?  Well, I think it does.  This is father's day weekend, and no matter what it takes I will hold an umbrella of love over my husband's head as long as it takes for his rain cloud to go away, and I choose to love him for better and worse, even when it takes extra work, because I am blessed to have him by my side and I choose to love him forever one moment at a time.

"I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even
marry you because I loved you. I married you because you
gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults.
And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect
people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage.
And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that
protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that
promise."
Thornton Wilder, The Skin of Our Teeth


1 comment: